Monday, October 13, 2008

Roasted CickPeas


Oh My Gosh!!! I love these things. I have never had a chickpea except when it is in my 15 bean soup and then I can't pick them out from the rest of the beans. But you roast those suckers and YUuMMMMMMY!! Here's how I do it...

1. 1 bag dried chickpeas / garbanzo beans (same thing, who knew?)
Open them up, rinse them off and put them in a bowl. Cover the beans with hot water and let them sit overnight (at least 8 hrs).

2. Drain the water, put them in a pot. Cover with water again and bring to a boil. Turn them down to a simmer and cook for about an hour.

3. Drain the water. Toss beans with 2 tbsp Olive Oil, 1/2 tsp sesame oil, some garlic powder, onion powder and salt (I use fresh ground sea salt). You can use any combination here, whatever you like. I really like the flavor the sesame oil adds, but it doesn't take much.

4. Spread the beans out on a cookie sheet or casserole dish in a single layer. Roast at 450 degrees for a while, check after 20 minutes and then every 5-10 minutes until they are light brown.

You could use canned chickpeas also, just skip step 1 & 2 above. They are great right out of the oven and over the next couple of days.

No comments: